Once again flipping through the family cookbook, I ran across a recipe from my mom to serve for dinner. You'll need your grill. It's great to go along with steaks or burgers. If you do chicken, make sure your chicken marinade isn't too strong, because the flavors might compete.
Gingery Grilled Vegetables
6 to 7 c. sliced fresh vegetables (tomatoes, onions, summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers) cut 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick.
1/2 c. white wine vinegar
1/3 c. light soy sauce
6 T. olive oil
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. brown sugar, packed
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Place sliced vegetables into a 1-gallon, resealable plastic bag or other large container. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour the marinade over the vegetables in the bag or container. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour, turning bag over once or occasionally tossing the vegetables in the container.
Prepare medium-hot fire in charcoal or gas grill. Place vegetables on a lightly oiled grill (or vegetable grilling basket) about 4-6inches above the heat. Grill firmer vegetables such as squash, zucchini, peppers and onions about 10-15 mintues, turning once. Grill more tender vegetables such as tomatoes and mushrooms about 5 minutes, turning once. All vegetables should be lightly brown and still crisp-tender.
I didn't really measure any of the ingredients. I didn't want quite as much oil, so I trimmed back on that a bit. I also put mine in the vegetable grill basket and cooked them all for about 7 minutes, stirring the vegetables a couple times in that period. Stu and I really enjoyed it. The little one prefers plain veggies, but she ate quite a few chunks. I was so disappointed when the bowl was empty. I probably could have eaten just this for dinner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment