A friend of mine loaned me the "Organic Baby and Toddler Foods" cookbook by Amanda Grant, and it has proven to be an inspiration on more than one occasion. I saw a recipe called "Peanut Butter Eggy Bread" and decided to adapt it (still haven't tried peanut butter with A... I wll one of these days!). Using her recipe as a guideline, here is what I came up with:
Banana and Nut French Toast
4 tbsp. smooth walnut paste (or peanut butter)
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. milk
cinnamon (to desired taste)
1 banana, mashed
small amount of butter
Spread the walnut paste on one side of each slice of bread.
Mash the banana and spread in a thin layer over the walnut paste.
Mix the egg and milk together in a shallow dish and add cinnamon. Dip the bread into the eggy mixture. Heat the butter in a pan and fry the dipped bread, turning over after two to three minutes, so that each side is golden brown.
It isn't really a beautiful process... you have to carefully turn the banana and nut paste side so you don't leave it on the pan.
Serve immediately.
I chose walnut paste over peanut butter because the walnuts have more nutritional value and the paste doesn't have added sugar. With the mashed banana you don't need the sweetness of peanut butter.

No comments:
Post a Comment