Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vegetable Casserole

Yesterday I was trying to come up with a better way to serve vegetables to my family.  I pulled out our family cookbook and then I remembered a recipe that we used to eat when I was growing up.  It's also a recipe that my grandmother frequently makes.  So I made a batch tonight and it was super tasty... just as good as I remember.  The best part was that Abigail ate a huge portion! 

Vegetable Casserole
Makes enough for about 6 people

Broccoli, 1 bunch
Cauliflower, 1 head
1 Carrot
Squash (1 each: zucchini, acorn and yellow squash)
Brown rice or bown and wild rice, cooked (enough for 1 serving per person)
Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 pound, grated)
Cheddar Cheese (1/2 pound, grated)
Large Can Tomato Sauce

Cook rice.  Cut vegetable into bite size pieces and steam all together (approximately 15 minutes).  Grate cheeses.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Put cooked rice in 1-2 quart casserole.  Add one layer grated Monterey Jack cheese and one layer Cheddar cheese.  Pour tomato sauce over top and bake until bubbly (approximately 20 minutes).

I couldn't find acorn or yellow squash, so I ended up just using extra zucchini.  They also don't sell Monterey Jack cheese in Germany, so I used Swiss cheese. 

No comments: