Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer

We woke up this morning to sunshine coming through our curtains at 5:15 am (and then went back to sleep).  It had been quite a few days since we had seen the sun in our town, so Abigail and I decided to take advantage of it!  We went on our normal walk, but we made a stop in a park downtown so Abigail could get out and stretch her legs. 

I generally don't mind cloudy and drizzly days, but it does limit what we can do outside quite a bit!  We crawled around and played in the grass for awhile.  I seemed to be (once again) one of the only moms that was acknowledging the warmer weather.  There were quite a few other kids with jackets on! 

This was my favorite part:
My first flower picked by my daughter.  We were walking along and she stopped dead in her tracks, plopped down and picked the flower.  She touched it, felt the petals and studied it, then she turned around looking for my hand and placed the beautiful little flower in my palm.  So lovely.  A few minutes later I was the lucky recipient of two rocks.  She really enjoys sharing her treasures.

On the way home we had to stop for some Eis (ice cream, that is).  Eis is an amazing phenomenon here in Germany in the summers.  On a warm sunny day, I would say 1 in 2 people, no matter their age is consuming ice cream outside in the sun.  It is so cool and a fun part of the culture!  So I had to indulge myself and I bought eine Kugel (1 scoop) Mint Eis in Waffeln (waffle cone)!  I also couldn't help myself with this... Abigail's first real taste of Eis.  I am pretty anti-sweets for her and we tend to eat pretty healthy.  I really was just curious to see what she did with it.  She barely stuck her tongue out and tasted it.  Then it was a full-fledge lunge to suck the ice cream as fast as she could.  She didn't get much, but she enjoyed what she did!  I can't say that I'm surprised... it was quite tasty.  I think more than anything she liked how cold and wet it was!

Remnants of our ice cream (as she tries to grab my phone):


Happy Summer!

No comments: