I've actually been "well" enough to blog for the past several days, I just haven't sat down to write. The last few weeks have obviously been a bit of a departure from my normal day-to-day activities, so it's taken a bit of time to get used to cleaning, cooking, etc! We had live-in help every day for the first three weeks (thanks, Grandma!) and another friend who has been helping out since early August.
My latest report is this... no more casts, no more braces! It's freedom from here out! My range-of-motion is returning, albeit a bit more slowly than I had hoped for. My right arm, which was actually the more severe break of the two, seems to be recovering more quickly than the left. I'm sure most of that stems from the fact that I am right-handed so I probably have more strength and flexibility there. Slow and steady wins the race, though, right? I am hoping that I will be able to completely straighten both arms in the next couple of weeks, which means no physical therapy.
It has been an interesting (almost) six weeks. I have learned a lot about myself, which is always good. When you are unable to complete the simplest of tasks ("Can you scratch my nose for me?" or "Can I have a bite of the potatoes now, please?"), you learn just how important it is to be able to ask for and accept help. I am so blessed by how frequently I didn't even need to ask, though. We had dozens of people who offered things before we even realized we needed them, and were willing to help in any way possible. Okay, maybe not everyone was wanting to scratch my nose for me, but from changing Abbey's diapers to cleaning and cooking, our needs and beyond were met. God has blessed us with an amazing community here in Germany, and I am so grateful for His provision of such wonderful friends. I have also been blessed with an extremely patient husband who had to put up with a lot of complaining on my part, as well as taking on the role of #1 caregiver to a 14 month old and 29 year old all while being the #1 breadwinner (well, really he's the only breadwinner). I can't imagine how tiring that must have been! Poor thing... I don't know how he stayed so patient with me saying, "Can you please brush the back of my teeth again? They don't feel clean..."
Thank you all for your prayer, encouragement and kind words. They were uplifting and so helpful in a time that was relatively difficult for all of us. I'm so glad things seem to be getting back to nomal. I think if there's really any lesson that can be taken from this, it is that exercise is more harmful than it is good. Well, maybe that's not the primary lesson. It should probably be that one should frequently check the status of one's shoelaces whilst out-and-about. Oh, and if you're falling, tuck-and-roll. Hmmm... maybe there are several lessons that could be learned...
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment