Monday, May 10, 2010

Stockholm, Sweden

Stu had a conference in Stockholm, Sweden last week.  We decided that Abigail and I should meet him up there so we could explore a part of Europe that we hadn't seen.  Some other colleagues' families were flying up, so Abbey and I planned our trip for the same time (which was very nice, as I had extra hands to hold bags and Abbey when needed!).  The total travel time was supposed to be a little over 4 hours... 11 hours later we made it to the hotel.  Phew!  Abbey was such a perfect angel with all of it.  I am so blessed!

Five minutes prior to planned departure... this is never a good sign:
Stu's conference was over at the end of our first full day, so Abbey and I did some exploring on our own.  That usually involves eating!  She loves to eat, but she also likes to share her food.  Soggy cracker, anyone?
We found a really cool international market.  There were booths with food from all over the world. 
I think this was the only "American" type food.  Although there was a Pizza Hut upstairs...
That night we ate some super tasty Swedish Meatballs (Köttbullar).  They were much better than the Köttbullar you buy at IKEA.
Yum...

Stockholm is on the southeast "shore" of Sweden (the city has an estuary from the Baltic, but there are quite a few islands between it and the sea).  You can read more about the city HERE.  Stockholm is essentially a bunch of islands connected by bridges.  It really was very beautiful with water and bridges everywhere.  We stayed across the lake from Gamla Stan, which is the Old Town.  

Watching the Royal Calvary march toward the Royal Palace in Old Town Stockholm.
Apparently Abbey has not developed my fear of heights as of yet (and yes, Stu is holding her very tightly.  I made sure of it)...
The Old Town of Stockholm is where we spent the most time.  It is very lovely.  I loved these buildings, although I didn't really get a chance to get much background information on the architecture.
The Nobel Museum:
On Saturday we walked to one of the islands to see the Vasa Ship Museum.  The Vasa was built in the early 1600's and it sailed for 1500 meters and then sunk to the bottom of the harbour.  The ship stayed there until it was recovered in one piece in 1961.  It was really interesting to see such a huge ship in amazing condition that was laying at the bottom of a harbour for over 300 years!  You can read more about it HERE.
We were going to go on a boat ride to see the city from the lakes and estuaries, but we thought that an 11-month old might not enjoy a 2-hour boat ride as much as we would. Abbey and Mr Mouse trying to decide where to go next...
The trip home was relatively less eventful.  The last leg of our flight was canceled, so we had to hop on a train to get home.  We made it safe and sound, although our luggage is still to be recovered.  Hopefully it will be delivered today!

No comments: