Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mountains

When I was young, I remember having a conversation with a friend as to whether the mountains or the beach was better.  Having been born in Denver, CO, I stand by my affirmation that the mountains are better than the ocean.  I lived the early years of my life in a Denver suburb and we spent a lot of time in the Denver Metro and mountains even after moving to Oklahoma.  The lovely Rocky Mountains were just a quick glance to the west.  My mom and I were discussing memories the other day, and it dawned on me that most of my earliest memories involve time in the mountains (most of them good... there was a traumatic skiing incident involved in there somewhere).  I moved back to the Denver metro for a job two weeks after graduating from University.  Moving back cultivated my love for the Rockies and it is also where I met Stu... so I have many reasons to be thankful for the draw of the mountains!  This last weekend we visited Berchtesgaden, Germany in the Alps and I realized anew how much I love the rugedness of mountainous rocks and trees. 
Here are just a few things I love about the mountains:

I enjoy the 4 seasons of the mountains.  The snow is incredibly beautiful in the winter.  In the spring the alpine flowers bloom and the elks are bugling.  The summer is warm and with vibrant greens.  The snow is melting, so the rivers flow strong and make the most beautiful sound.  In the fall the aspen turn golden and from a distance the tree-line is beautifully dressed in gold and green.  Each season has its own scent, as well... all of them earthy and lovely!

I love that the mountains offer such a wide variety of sport for all of the seasons... hiking, skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, rafting/ kayaking, etc.  I thoroughly enjoy hiking because it's something you can do all year.  I am not an avid hiker... I don't have to conquer the highest peaks (although I enjoy it when I can make it to the top of one).  I simply enjoy a walk on mountain trails that lead to beautiful scenery along the way. 

Every time I am in the mountains I feel closer to the Lord.  I know there are various opinions on how old the earth is, etc.  To me, it doesn't matter how old it is or how it happened, but God created those mountains and they are beautiful.  In Psalms, it says that God brought them forth and that He is more majestic than the mountains.  That is going to be a beautiful day!

No comments: