Sunday, April 1, 2012

Easter Egg "Hunts"

Let's face it, most of the sponsored Easter Egg Hunts these days are really Easter Egg Pick-Ups, as you really don't have to hunt for anything.  Youth soccer, I guess... everyone gets a trophy.  It can get pretty brutal as the parents try to make it a competitive sport and pick up the eggs for their kids... such as this ARTICLE describes.  Most of the parents were pretty good, although here is a "conversation" I had with another mom, as she pushed me (and consequently Abbey) out of the way: 
Mom: "EXCUSE ME.  I'm trying to get my kid through so he can get some eggs."
Me: "Um, yeah, about 1000 other parents and kids are trying to do the same thing, all on a single football field."
Aside from that lovely exchange, it was a fun day.

The first event we went to was called an Easter Egg Drop.  It was sponsored by a church in town, and it was a lot of fun... they had the field partially filled with eggs, and then a helicopter made 6 passes, each time dropping bags full of eggs onto the field.  Pretty cool!

Can you sense the excitement?
Pre-planted eggs:
There's a smile!

Can you hear it from Abbey?  "She's touching me!"
"I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be asleep in my crib right now..."
There's some excitement!
There they go!  (You might need to click on the picture to see it larger).

The helicopter makes another pass:
Gorgeous Colorado blue skies... 
I should note here that Abbey thought it would be fun to stay awake until 11:15pm last night (in her room... she was just playing and singing the whole time).  This was the result of the late night around the 5th pass the helicopter made...
Do we finally get to go?
Chaos ensues...
Didn't take too many pictures during the pick-up, as it would have meant risking injury to Abbey and myself.

Post pick-up:

 I have no idea what just happened, really... but I liked it!
 Egg hunt #2... No helicopter this time, but there was a train!

 So happy, right?

 Checking out the haul from the day...




No comments: